User experience expert, Susan Weinshenk, covers ’5 Reasons why online video is so persuasive’ in her recent blog.
1. It engages two of our senses – sight and sound. The brain patterns of listeners synch up with the brain patterns of the speaker they are listening to. This means that a video of someone talking is going to be more powerful than just reading words on a page.
2. Movement in the corner of the screen grabs your eye. Video online is movement, so it will automatically grab more attention than anything else on the screen.
3. Video can convey emotion. If you are passionate about something, it can be hard to express in text. If we’re making an ironic comment by text it can provoke us to use emoticons. With video you speak to the emotional mid-brain if you want your message to be remembered. Add to that the emotional effects of music, colour and motion. Video has the advantage of communicating social and emotional information, not just the facts.
4. Video can be synchronous – it allows you to hear and see an actual person as live, rather than the more removed reading of text. In this regard it is one of the most powerful forms of online media.
5. Video testimonials combine all these elements together. They are powerful forms of social validation that carry all the emotions your customers wish to convey. Potential clients can see and hear your existing satisfied customers – you just can’t beat this for persuasion.